Thursday, January 14, 2010

BEWARE OF SUMMER CREATURES

BEWARE OF SUMMER CREATURES

Just because the lazy, hazy days of summer are upon us, everyone should still be alert to some of the dangers commonly associated with the current seasonal activities, whether you are vacationing or spending time at home enjoying the great outdoors.

Several weekends ago I went to Las Vegas to attend the wedding our Kevin (our plant manager) and Lucy (who also works in our So. Cal. Plant) as well as visiting with my brother, Firooz. As usual, the extended weekend was a fun-filled, exciting time for everyone.

On that particular Sunday night (about midnight), I woke up feeling as though my hand was on fire. It looked as if I had been bitten by a spider in two places. I called my wife in California to tell her about it, and after looking up the information in her Home Medical Manual, we determined that I had been stung by a scorpion, which are common in the desert areas. The book indicated that all scorpions are poisonous in various degrees, and each incident should be treated as a medical emergency.

I went to the Emergency room at a local hospital and was told my stings were not highly poisonous, and there was no medical treatment for it other than Benedyl to help me sleep plus antibiotics to be sure the sting sites wouldn’t become infected. I was told to “ice” the sting areas every couple hours for some relief. For several days, I couldn’t bend my finger, and I had various areas of numbness on my hand interspersed with hot pain. My appetite was gone also, which is a common symptom. Needless to say, I was not comfortable for the following 72 hours.

Unfortunately, Nevada is not the only state with creature hazards. Others include diseases from common insects such as West Nile Virus from mosquitoes (found in California), Lyme disease from ticks (found in the Midwest), and spiders (who know no state boundaries). And let’s not forget deer, who are able to hide behind the lush foliage and trees, ready to spring out in front of cars, which is a real problem in North Carolina this time of the year. You will notice all of these areas include the homes or vacation spots of our employees.

Basically, this is just a reminder to be safe and prepared while enjoying the remaining summer months. When in doubt about seeking medical attention, I would advise everyone to always “error on the side of caution” rather than assume it’s no big deal. My doctor informed me that your entire body can be affected if the venom (from insects, etc.) is potent, as is the case with spiders and scorpions, or if anyone is hypersensitive, as some people are, to bee, wasp, and yellow jacket stings. Be informed of all warning signs relating to certain symptoms of any bites or stings. Be Safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment