Thursday, January 14, 2010

What does all the above data add up to?

129 Days. 30.5 lbs. 16.9%. 10,378 Minutes.
172.966666 Hours. 664.11 Miles. Coyotes Encounter. Morning wake up at 2:45 AM. Walk morning and evenings.

What does all the above data add up to?

This article is being written on Sunday August 24, 2008.

When I visited my doctor for my regular 3-month check up, my blood pressure was 140/90 and my other related health numbers were not encouraging. My weight had taken its own upward road because of happy eating. My doctor told me that I was over weight and should try losing some to help my vital statistics that were high and which needed to be lowered ASAP.

In general I was not feeling good and my energy level was lower than normal. I was feeling uncomfortable and upset at myself for losing control of my general health.

I left the doctor’s office determined to regain that control and recapture the feeling I had before the weight gain.

When I arrived home I went straight to my computer and signed up for the Nutra System Diet Plan I had seen advertised on TV. The food arrived 3 days later and I started their eating and exercise plan. Do not fool yourself… you can not lose weight without exercise. You have to get your body moving or it is a waste of money as well as time and effort, and nothing happens.

I started my program in California, but had to take my business trips to the other plants. I increased my walk daily while I was visiting Calico, NC and then Futek, WI. I was out for my morning walks at 4:00AM and also in the evenings at 6:00 PM when the weather was cooler. I enjoyed walking in the mornings because it was cool and they made me feel energized during the day. I also enjoyed the evening breezes later in the evening. At first, walking 3-4 miles was a chore. Now I am up to 12-14 miles per day and do not want to stop. My IPOD keeps me company with my downloaded podcasts that make the time disappear.

When I first began my routine, my morning and evening walks were in streets and at the park near our house in California. However, my California morning walks were changed to going to the Gym when I encountered two coyotes at the park. As I was walking one morning, I heard some rustling in the bushes. I looked to the side and they were 10 feet from me. Although my heart beat jumped, I continued to walk the same speed and did not run because I knew that would encourage them to chase me. So with one eye on them, I walked away until I got to the other side of the park while they continued to stand there and watch me. In my mind I was contemplating what I should do if they decided to run toward me and attack me! I’m very thankful they did not.

It was not a hard decision to transfer my walk to the gym from that day on. I was getting up 3:00AM for the park walk, so in order to stick with the rest of my daily routine; I had to change it to 2:45AM. This would give me time to drive to the gym and back by 6:00AM to get ready for work.

In my opinion, the Nutra System food is delicious and easy to make. No refrigeration is needed, and it takes 1-1/2 minutes or less in the microwave to have it ready. I would encourage anyone to try it if you want to lose weight.

So this is what it took to loose 30-1/2Lbs.

129 Days of diet and exercise.

Weight lost: 30.5 lbs.

Percentage lost: 16.9%

Minutes walked: 10,678 Minutes = 172.96666667 Hours

Miles walked: 664.11Miles

Coyotes Encountered: 2

Morning wake up at 2:45 AM

Walk morning and evenings.

Average daily distance walked: 5.14814 Miles.

Now the fun part is that I can go to my other closet every morning and it is like going to the store and picking out new clothes for that day. I can pick my favorite pants and shirts that were moved to the other closet due to weight gain. Everything old is new again.

My doctor took me around the office on the last visit to show me off to the staff and the other patients to show what one can do if one is mentally ready to do it. I believe if you are not mentally ready to take the challenge, it will be a futile exercise and any lack of dedication will not let anyone achieve the goal.

My blood pressure is 110/70 and all the other vital signs are looking great. I have so much energy now, which really makes my days a pleasure.

Now if you are good at math, you can figure out what my starting weight was!

No comments:

Post a Comment